Careers and Courses in Photography
Photography is a medium to make some events sweet memories and also to express feelings that cannot expressed by words. Photography is the field that is most suitable for people who have good taste and creativity.
There are many courses available in photography from six months short term courses to diploma, certificate, bachelor and master degrees. Few institutions are offering diploma and certificate courses in photography with tenth class as qualification. Most of the institutes offer bachelor, diploma and certificate courses for which intermediate is the qualification for admission.
Specializations in photography courses: Photography is different from other courses as students can choose their field they are interested in. They can choose from various specializations such as photo journalism, commercial photography, advertising, fashion photography, wedding photography, industrial photography, wild life photography, aerial photography, scientific photography etc. In the recent times fashion photography and wild life photography are very popular with the applicants.
Skills required for a photographer: Creativity is the basic qualification needed for a photographer. A good photographer should have awareness of background colors and lighting which are important for a photograph to look beautiful. The photographers should also be aware of all the technological developments in the field.
Higher education in Photography: Candidates who complete diploma in photography can join in BFA course and later MFA course. In Andhra Pradesh, Jawaharalal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University is offering MFA course. Admission is given through an entrance exam. Many other universities in India are also offering MFA photography courses.
Career in Photography: There is no dearth of job opportunities for candidates who study photography course. Photo journalists have demand in various newspapers and TV channels. Based on the specialization the candidate has studied there are job opportunities in various advertising agencies, industrial houses, scientific journals, fashion houses and other government organizations. There will also be opportunities to work in international media houses such as National Geographic channel, Discovery or Animal planet. Establishing own studios and working as freelance photographer or the other options for candidates who studied photography course.
Salaries for photographers: The starting salary for photographers in any of the organizations will not be less than Rs. 8,000. It is not difficult to earn Rs. 20,000 if the candidate is hard working and has good experience. Taking photographs in various events can also fetch good income to photographers.
Institutes that offer Photography
- Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University-Hyderabad is offering BFA course in Photography and eligibility to join the course is Intermediate. www.jnafau.ac.in
- Sri Venkateswara College of Fine Arts, Hyderabad offers BFA photography course for intermediate passed candidates.
- National Institute of Design, Ahmadabad is offering two years Post Graduate Diploma in Photography Design course. Candidates who have done graduation in related subject are eligible for this course. Experience of the candidates will be given much priority. Written test is conducted for admissions purpose. www.nid.edu
- National Institute of Photography, Mumbai offers Fashion Photography course whose duration is six months and is a part time diploma course. http://photoinstutuenip.com
- Asian College of Journalist, Chennai is offer Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism with Photography as a subject. Any graduate can apply for the course. Written exam and interview are the basis for providing admission. www.asianmedia.org
- Film and Television Institute of India, Pune website: www.ftiindia.com
St. Xavier Institute of communication, Mumbai: www.xaviercomm.org