Medical Lab Technology – Career and Courses
Medical field is not just about doctors. There is a necessity of services of other associate experts. Healthcare industry is developing because of the reasons such as people suffering from disease frequently and increasing awareness of health among people. This is increasing the need of services of experienced and skilled persons. It is possible to enter in to healthcare industry by doing various courses.
Medical Lab Technicians
Medical Lab Technicians are those who conduct various tests on patients such as blood tests, urine tests etc. The report of medical lab technician is important for the doctor to prescribe medicines to the patients. Thus there is a great demand for these people in health care industry.
Candidates who wish to become medical lab technicians have to do the following courses
- Diploma in Medical Lab Technology course: Directorate of Medical Education is offering this course in Andhra Pradesh. Duration of the course is two years and eligibility is tenth class.
- Medical Lab Technician: Intermediate board of Andhra Pradesh is offering this course as a part of vocational course. Duration of the course is two years and the eligibility for getting admission is tenth class.
- BSc in Medical Lab Technology: Duration of this course is three years and candidates who completed intermediate with BPC or those who have completed intermediate vocational course in medical lab technology or those who completed diploma in medical lab technology are eligible to apply. Selection of candidates for BSc medical lab technology course will be done by NTR Health University. A notification will be issued by the university and the selection is done based on the merit of the students in Intermediate subjects. Total number of colleges in Andhra Pradesh is 54. Total seats available are 1905. Visit the website http://22.214.171.124 for details.
Higher education in medical lab technology
Candidates who completed their Diploma in Medical Lab Technology after tenth class can join in three years BSc Medical Lab Technology course. Candidates who passed Medical Lab Technician course offered by Board of Intermediate as vocation course can also join in BSc. These candidates can join in BSc microbiology/bio chemistry/Biotech or BZC courses also after completing bridge course.
- There is also an opportunity for candidates who completed diploma in Medical Lab Technology course after tenth class to join in BSc MLT, BPT, Male nursing, Blood Banking, Anesthesia, Ophthalmology diploma courses offered by NTR Health University.
- Diploma in Medical Imagining Technician, MRI, and CT scan are the other courses that can be done by them. With the help of the government they can also establish their own laboratories.
Career in Medical Lab Technology
The candidates who studied medical lab technology courses participate in the practical and technical experiments that are conducted in medical laboratories for determining the diseases and their severity. These conduct required tests to identify the changes in the body due to diseases, operations and accidents. These people are appointed by hospitals, diagnostic centers, research centers etc.
Salaries for medical lab technicians
In the beginning of the career medical lab technicians can expect a salary of Rs. 10,000 to 15,000. Later depending on their hard work and sincerity they can earn more money or can set up own diagnostic centers.
Colleges that offer BSc Medical Technology Course
Kamineni Institute of Para Medical Sciences, Mamtha Institute of Para Medical Sciences – Khammam etc are offering BSc Medical Technology course in Andhra Pradesh. Indira Gandhi National Open University is also offering BSc MLT course, Diploma in Medical Technology etc. www.ignou.ac.in
Institutes that offer Medical Lab Technology in Post Graduate Level
- Sri Ramachandra University Tamil Nadu, Website: www.srmc.edu
- Layolo college, Chennai, Website: www.loyolocollege.edu
- Padmashree institutions, Bangalore
- Prestigious Engineering Institute Birla Institute of Technology and Science – BITS, Pilani is offering MS in Medical Lab Technology course in off campus integrated learning method with the association of Shankara Netralaya Medical Research Foundation, Tamil Nadu. Candidates who completed BSc Biological Science or Integrated First Degree Program offered by BITS are eligible for this course. Selection of the candidates will be done based on written test and interview. Websites that can be visited to obtain more information about MS Medical Lab Technology course are www.sankaranethralaya.org, www.bitspilani.ac.in